Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Glory of Pudding

Nothing is better than a good pudding. It's warm, sweet, and oh so comforting-- never a disappointment. In fact, I'd say I generally prefer this dessert over ice cream or candy.

I frequently indulge my constant craving for this comfort food. Several times a week I have it for dessert. When there are leftovers, I just store them in the refrigerator for the following morning. Who says you can't have pudding for breakfast?

I love all varieties of this lovely dessert. I love blancmange, sticky toffee, crème brûlée, crema catalana,* your standard chocolate or vanilla. The pudding that I eat most often, though, is tapioca. Some people don't care for the texture of tapioca. I think that the pearls add an interesting new dimension to the dish.

I make tapioca pudding frequently at home, with the help of  Minute Tapioca.

Kraft Minute Tapioca


I normally don't recommend Kraft products, but I'll make an exception here. The Minute mix is super easy to prepare, and, most importantly, it yields some pretty tasty tapioca.



Recipe for Minute Tapioca:

In a medium saucepan, mix 1/3 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp. Minute Tapioca, 2-3/4 cups milk, and 1 well-beaten egg. Let stand 5 minutes.

Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to full boil.



Next,  let pudding cool for 20 minutes; stir. Serve warm or chilled.  Makes  6 (1/2 cup) servings.


A few cooking tips:

I've found that constant whisking really does improve the consistency of this pudding. It makes for a much fluffier tapioca.
Also, feel free to use less or more sugar, depending on your sweetness preference. Just don't forget to add some sugar! Once I mistakenly left out this ingredient, and the result was none too pleasing.

All this talk of pudding has made me hungry. I could really go for some tapioca now...


* The Catalan version of crème brûlée. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. Good ol' chocolate has always been my favorite; it's so rich and satisfying. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, tapioca. Very tasty. I like to get the Kosy Shack cups; the rice pudding is so good too!

    So do you shake the box just once when you first buy it, and then never again??

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like indian pudding the best -- spicy, sweet and gritty (love dat molasses!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so many puddings - so little time!
    my personal favorites are the vanila, custard and corn starch based varieties blancmange and crème brûlée among them.
    who came up with the method of whisking during the heating period? that is BRILLIANT! i must try some now....

    ReplyDelete