Sunday, May 30, 2010

Taste of China





I've decided that it's time for me to write a (long overdue) review of one of my favorite restaurants-- Taste of China. Located in Clinton, CT, Taste of China has always impressed me with its delicious, authentic Chinese cuisine.
I had the opportunity to visit the restaurant fairly recently. My mom and I went there for Mother's Day, and got to try a number of tasty dishes.

For an appetizer, we started off with TOC's famed Cheng Du dumplings. I have to say, I adore these. Every time I go to Taste of China, I have to order them.  These delicate pork-filled dumplings, served alongside a wonderfully complex garlic sauce, are simply mouthwatering.


                                Taste of China's signature Cheng Du Dumplings


Since I was out on the town, I thought I'd order a cocktail with my food. There were many appealing drinks on the menu, so it took a while for me to decide. In the end, I settled upon the Espresso Martini-- a mix of "Vincent Van Gogh Espresso Vodka, Illy Espresso Liqueur with a splash of Godiva White Chocolate and a twist." Yes, it was as tasty as it sounds. In the future, though, I would probably order it as an after dinner drink, as it was pretty sweet.


                                                 TOC's Espresso Martini


Moving on to the main course ... We ordered two dishes: the Sizzling Shrimp and Scallops, and the Shredded Duck with Szechuan Flavor. Though the first entree was good, I must admit that it isn't my favorite Taste of China dish.




Sizzling Shrimp and Scallops

I did like several things about this dish. The vegetables were quite good, the shrimp and scallops fresh and delicious. The only problem I had was with the sauce; it seemed a bit on the bland side. In general, I prefer sauces with bold (often spicy) flavors. But in any case, everything worked out well in the end. I enjoyed the seafood and vegetables, and the mildness of the dish provided a nice counterbalance to our second entree.

The Shredded Duck with Szechuan Flavor was excellent. Smoked shredded duck in a spicy sauce served with flour pancakes-- owm!!! I like to add hoisin sauce to my pancake, but that's entirely up to you.






Shredded Duck with Szechuan Flavor


In general, I would recommend any of TOC's duck dishes.  The tea smoked duck and the shredded duck with scallions and ginger (also a pancake dish) are phenomenal.

It's rare that I come across something at this restaurant that I don't like. Other dishes at TOC I would highly recommend include: the Mongolian Beef, Hot and Sour soup, Shredded Beef and Baby Bok Choy, Pork with Jingling Bells, Pork Blossoms, Green Jade Delight, and the Tangy Eggplant Medallions.

I hope I get to go back soon!

3 comments:

  1. That drink looks tasty.
    I went to Taste of China once, but I didn't like it. But it has occurred to me that I don't think I really like Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hands down the BEST chinese restaurant around! why the advocate poll doesn't crown toc best chinese restaurant is a mystery; taste of china chengdu dumplings are served in heaven; dragon east gummy dumplings are served in hell (if those places really existed . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm.. my stomach's growling after viewing those yummy snaps. I'm a big fan of good Chinese and Japanese cuisine.

    ReplyDelete